Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Add-on Week, Part 3

••••••••••••••••

Add-on Sketch #10

You can download and print this sketch by clicking on the add-on sketches link found under the "printable sketches" tab on the right sidebar.


"Happy Birthday" card by Christy Arthur
Products - Cardstock: Bazzill (Kraft); Patterned Paper: Crate Paper (Farmhouse Sunday dinner and homemade, Random textile); Stamps: Hero Arts (Typewriter), Studio Calico (Stamp from April Add on Kit); Stickers: Crate Paper (Farmhouse Border Stickers); Floss: Bazzill In Stitch'z (Red/Orange)

Variation #1: I used two layers for the circles instead of the three in the sketch.

Variation #2: I laid the circles in a horizontal line at the bottom of the card, instead of clustering them more like balloons.

Variation #3: Instead of stitching strings, I added stitching in the middle of the cluster of circles.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •   


"There’s No Doubt" by Megan Bickers
Supplies Used - Cardstock: DMD Inc (kraft); Patterned Paper: Bo Bunny (Sophie); Tools: EK Success Punches(Circles- ½”, ¾”, 1”, 1 ¼”, 1 ½”, Real Estate), Tim Holtz (Tiny Attacher); Adhesives: Scrapbook Adhesives (Foam Squares); Ribbon: American Crafts; Stickers: Recollections (Adhesive Faux Pearls); Stamps: Technique Tuesday (Loving Words); Inks: Ranger Distress Inkpad (Walnut Stain), Ranger Distress Stain (Antique Linen); Pens: Zig Writer (Brown); Other: Sewing Machine and tan thread; sand paper.

Variation #1: Instead of using a group of balloons on my card, I created a group of flowers from circle punches. The layers of the flowers are attached with foam squares for dimension and I added small pearls to the centers.


Variation #2: I was inspired by the curvy stitched lines for the balloon strings and I took that inspiration a step further to create a background. I used my sewing machine and some tan thread to sew some free-form swirl patterns on the card front.


Then I sewed a double border around the card edges to pull everything together.

Other details: I added a punch shape to the front of the card with a stamped sentiment. The punched shape was cut into two pieces and I used the larger piece on the inside of the card to create my sentiment. I decorated the inside of the card along the top edge by adding a stripe of paper and the other stamped punch shape.

 ••••••••••••••••••••••••
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • 


"Go Cardinals" by Allison Davis
Supply list - Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned paper: Fancy Pants (red), My Mind's Eye (dotted); Word stickers: Making Memories; Alphabets: American Crafts

This is actually an older layout from the "Sketch Week" series I used to do on my blog. I thought it would be a good fit with the add-on sketch for this month. It shows how you can use the concept of layering the circles to create many things other than just balloons, like the baseballs I made for my layout.

Variation #1 - I turned the three layered circles into baseballs by using three white cardstock circles and then the red stitching.


I only did the baseball stitching on the top layer and then one small stitch on the bottom two layers since the rest wouldn't show when layered together.

To get the lines even on all three layers, I used removable adhesive and adhered them together. Then I drew my lines for the stitching. After that I pulled them apart and added the stitching. The last step was adhering them together with foam adhesive.
••••••••••••••••••

6 comments:

Jill Sarginson said...

Allison - I LOVE what you did with the baseballs - very cool!

Great work everyone!!

Christine said...

Allison, what an appropriate layout for you to share this week ;-)

I had forgotten how you did that with the baseballs, I'll have to remember that for my next baseball layout.

Allison Davis said...

It's funny how that worked out! :)

Paula in Ontario, Canada said...

That's neat with the baseballs!

Carolyn Wolff said...

Cool creations today!

Christy - Awesome job...you really switched things up. Love it.

Megan - Love the background you created. Your balloons are awesome too.

Allison - Love how you changed the balloons to baseballs. Very cool.

Shari Thurman said...

Love the banner and the stitching. And Allison...those baseballs are to die for. Great projects!